Stratification – A matter of height
Stratification is a largely unknown issue, but affects any high level building. This happens when the thermal ‘lift’ of the smoke is not sufficient to break through a warm layer of air gathered in the roof void. Instead, stratification causes the smoke to form in a ‘cloud’ below the roof level – too low for the ceiling-mounted detection to sense it as seen in the picture above.
Roof-mounted fire detection units can be rendered almost useless in the face of this phenomenon. Smoke can form and fires can grow without activating ceiling-mounted detection systems, until a point when it is too late for any action to be effective.
However, this doesn’t have to be the case. Blazequel are now offering an exciting new solution to the problem – Video Smoke Detection. The Araani SmokeCatcher VSD:
- Covers large areas of floor space with a single camera
- Is unrivalled in its effectiveness of smoke detection
- Detects unique smoke patterns using detailed analytical software
- Streams live colour footage back to controllers PC allowing visual verification of incident
- Can be used alongside and possibly incorporated into the existing CCTV security system
- Has proven ability to detect smoke in 10-60 seconds of it being visible from ground level
- ‘Learns’ the behaviour of mobile plant and people so doesn’t cause false alarms due to vehicle fumes or dust clouds
- Is very robust in order to cope with extremely harsh environments (e.g. waste management sites)
For more information on our solutions to your unique and complex requirements, give us a call on 01234 357357, email email@example.com or visit our website on www.blazequel.com .